New Medicine Service
What is the New Medicine Service?
The New Medicine Service (NMS) is a free service, funded by the NHS, provided by MB Health Pharmacies to help you to get the most out of your new medicine.
Who is it for?
The service is for people who have received their first prescription for a medicine to treat any
of the following conditions:
- Lung conditions such as chronic bronchitis and emphysema
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Conditions where you take a medicine to control the way your blood clots
How will it help me?
Between 30% and 50% of prescribed medicines are not taken as recommended. This
means that a lot of medicines are wasted or are not as effective as they could be.
The service will:
- Help you to find out more about the new medicine you are taking
- Help to sort out any queries you are having with your new medicine
- Give you a chance to ask questions about your medicine and discuss any concerns
- Help to improve the effectiveness of your new medicine. For example, there may be an easier or better way to take it
- Help you to make your own decisions about managing your condition
- Help you to improve your health, which could lead to fewer GP and hospital visits
The New Medicine Service will help provide better value for you and the NHS by making sure that your medicines are right for you.
How does the service work?
When you are given your new medicine you will be asked if you want to sign up to the service. This will be provided in three steps.
Step 1: Joining the service
Facer Pharmacy will give you information about your new medicine and answer any initial questions you have about the NMS.
Step 2: First consultation
In the first consultation your Pharmacist will ask you questions about how you are getting on with your new medicine, find out if you are have any queries and give you any information and support you need.
Step 3: Second consultation
The second consultation provides another opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback,
after you have been using the medicine for a longer period of time.